There is a long standing notion by some members of society that women are weak. This thinking is backwards, and false, and is certainly incorrect on many levels. Women are not weak individuals; however society has falsely etched the stigma on women. BJJ will teach you how to be aware of danger situation, the basic anatomy of an attack to women, and how to properly disable attackers. Avoiding attacks and confrontations should always come first.
Although, for us, women should be a part of a great movement known to all as Jiu-Jitsu for Everyone! While commonly misconstrued as a male-dominated art, Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu Canberra aims to bridge the gap and relieve the world of the mindset that “Jiu-Jitsu (and martial arts in general) is only for the guys.”
How Jiu-Jitsu can help you to have a better life.
With an increasing number of Female Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners, a lot of women are taking interest in the most effective martial art. Here are some of the few basic and practical reasons how women can benefit from practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
1. It increases endurance – You can begin practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at any fitness level. However, over time, you’ll find your endurance increases because of the requirements of the sport.
2. It increases flexibility – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’s moves will require you to move in ways that are unfamiliar, at first. However, as the moves become easier, you’ll find that you’ve increased your overall flexibility.
3. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu builds muscle – Over time, even without weight training, you’ll find that your muscle tone and muscle mass have increased.
4. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu increases your aerobic capacity – This is a great workout – and you’ll find that you have greater aerobic capacity after a time. You’ll likely lose a few pounds, too, especially if you practice another aerobic exercise, like running, biking or swimming, on your off days.
5. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu increases your confidence level – The knowledge that you can defend yourself against an opponent is very powerful. When we believe our bodies are strong, we feel better physically and mentally.
6. Practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu reduces stress – Like any physically challenging exercise, practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great way to reduce stress by taking out your frustrations on your opponent – or just on a practice bag. You’ll find you’re more relaxed and sleep better.
7. Jiu-Jitsu improves your focus and concentration – This sport requires mental concentration as you anticipate your opponent’s next move and formulate your own plan for defense and attack. This forced concentration helps you be better able to focus your mind during practice – and for other tasks, as well.
As you can see, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great all around sport. You’ll increase your fitness level and reduce your stress level. And, perhaps most importantly, you’ll gain the skills to protect yourself in the event of an attack, and the confidence that goes along with the knowledge that you are capable of self defense.